Will I have to pay for any services? 

Aboriginal graduate nurse

Monash Children’s Hospital as part of Monash Health is part of Australia’s public health system and offers hospital care to any Australian resident under Medicare arrangements.

Patients without a Medicare Card

Patients without a Medicare card (or ineligible Medicare patients) need to pay for hospital services. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate and appropriate health insurance cover or adequate money to cover the cost of your child’s healthcare.

Click here to view Medicare Ineligible patient fees and charges.

Australian Government has Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with:

  • United Kingdom
  • Finland
  • New Zealand
  • Belgium
  • Ireland (Republic of)
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Slovenia
  • The Netherlands
  • Italy
  • Malta

If you are visiting Australia from one of these countries, these agreements may entitle your child to limited subsidised health services for medically necessary treatments while visiting Australia. Please note that visitors from Italy and Malta have six months Medicare coverage from the date of arrival in Australia.

Free medical care is also available to asylum seekers, refugees and people suffering from tuberculosis with appropriate supporting documentation.

Find out more from our Patient Liaison Team.

Private patients 

You have the right to choose for your child to receive care as a public or private patient at our hospitals. Choosing to use your private health insurance within Monash Health helps generate much needed funds to:

  • Provide continuous improvement in patient care
  • Help support valuable research
  • Contribute to additional and improved hospital facilities

This is entirely up to you and your child will receive the same treatment whether he/she is a public or private patient. Contact our Patient Liaison Officers for further information.

TAC, WorkCover and veterans

TAC, WorkCover and Veterans’ Affairs patients do not need to pay for hospital services. These costs are covered by third party providers.

Patients wishing to claim TAC or Workcover are required to submit a claim form with TAC or your employer.

Medications, equipment and other services

You do not need to pay for medicines given to your child to take while in hospital. You will be charged be charged for medications provided to your child on discharge and any equipment issued as part of the discharge arrangements.

Some of our community services also charge a small fee for their services.

Patient Liaison Officers

Clayton and Dandenong 
Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday, 7:30am-10pm
Saturday, 8am-9pm
Sunday, 4-9pm

Clayton – phone: (03) 9594 2809
Dandenong – phone: (03)
9554 8130

Casey, Moorabbin and Kingston 
Hours of operation:
Monday to Friday,  8am-4pm

Casey – phone: (03) 8768 1589
Moorabbin – phone: (03) 9928 8226
Kingston – phone: (03) 9265 7938

Documents to download 

Start typing and press Enter to search