Before your appointment
What to bring
When attending your child’s specialist appointment, please ensure you have brought with you:
- Your child’s referral letter
- A copy of your appointment letter
- Your Medicare card
- Relevant x-rays/scans/blood test results
- A current medication list
- A list of questions to ask the clinician
Preparing your child
A visit to hospital can be a daunting experience for a child. Speaking to your child honestly about his/her upcoming specialist appointment will help to prepare him/her for the experience.
We suggest you tell your child:
- Why he/she is going to hospital
- What will happen when he/she arrives
- Role playing what happens when you visit a doctor can also be helpful
You can contact the Child Life Therapy service on (03) 8572 3003 about how to best prepare your child for his/her specialist appointment.