Please read carefully for referral guidelines and key information below:
The Paediatric Fellow you are referring to:
- Is an Advanced Trainee in Paediatrics
- Receives off-site supervision by a Consultant Paediatrician
- Is employed through Monash Children’s Hospital
- Works in various community sites, usually for 6-12 months
- Will aim to contact referrers to communicate their findings and recommendations
- May decline your referral depending on capacity; in this situation you will be directly notified, and alternative arrangements suggested
- Should be made to access medical assessment for children in areas of need in the community (eg. sleep, behaviour, learning, development)
- Should not be urgent in nature (e.g. rapid weight loss); in rare circumstances, an urgent referral may be considered if you have contacted the Paediatric Fellow directly already and discussed it with them
- Can come from any health/educational/relevant organisation professional. Examples include Allied Health, teachers, GPs, school nurses, maternal child health nurses, and early childhood intervention staff. Referrals directly from parents/guardians will not be accepted.
- Should fully complete the referral form and provide as much relevant information as possible. Providing multiple means of contacting the family and the referrer is very important.
- With concerns about developmental delays should continue to make ECIS or Monash Health Community referrals and/or hearing test referrals whilst waiting for the Fellow to review
- Should explain the model of the Paediatric Fellow Clinic to the patient/family
- Are required to organise an interpreter for the appointment if the patient/family requires it
- The model of the clinic is to review children one to four times to:
- determine the nature of the problem,
- structure management and
- refer on to other paediatric services for longer term support as needed.
- There is no cost to families. They do not require Medicare, citizenship etc.
- There is no role for long term follow up through this clinic. If a long-term Paediatrician will be required, please ask the family to find one through their GP whilst waiting for the Fellow to review.